Ellen Wilmott, the well-known horticulturist of the early twentieth century, has a connection with William Byrd through her attendance at the service which unveiled a memorial to the great composer in March 1924. She laid a wreath at the memorial on behalf of the English Madrigal Society. Her gardens at Warley Place were sumptuous and she spent money as if was going out of fashion. After her death in 1934 the site was sold and large house demolished. Houses were planned to be built on Warley Place but the Second World War intervened and then the 'Green Belt' prevented construction. The site is now in the care of the Essex Wildlife Trust and opened to the public on selected days. For more about Miss Wilmott and Warley Place go to http://www.warleyplace.gov.uk
Pictured here are scenes from Warley Place plus silk flowers placed in St Peter & St Paul Church, unknowingly by the arranger to include 'Miss Wilmott's Ghost' (Eryngium giganteum), a variety of Sea Holly.